28.03.2024, 21:22 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
marinebro0306
19 Titel: Wireless woes  BeitragVerfasst am: 03.09.2006, 05:25 Uhr

Anmeldung: 31. Aug 2006

Hey,
After struggling with a WMP11 card, I moved to a D-link wireless adapter. In Katonix 2005-04, the internet worked fine with random tinkering with Network Card Configuration. I can connect to the internet in easter, but the steps involved are ludacris.

I run network card config and I pick either ath0, eth0, or eth1 (ath0 is the real card), setup wireless settings yes or no, and enabling DHCP broadcast (always yes). I have tried EVERY combination, and then eventually it will say something along the lines of "Interface enabled, do you want it auto enabled at boot?" and I do yes or no, along with the plethra of other options, until finally it MIGHT connect. I have no idea what I must do to fullfill the requirements for connecting, but it just seems random to me. Is it truly random, or is there some kind of order I should be following?

Also, when I am connected and browsing, the Interface detected thing will randomly pop up and sometimes when I continue or exit it will disconnect, sometimes not. Can someone please clear this entire situation up, its very frustrating!

Thanks!

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
ockham23
Titel: Wireless woes  BeitragVerfasst am: 03.09.2006, 11:20 Uhr

Anmeldung: 25. Mar 2005

Zitat:
I moved to a D-link wireless adapter
Which one? Please post output of lspci and, if it's a USB adapter, lsusb too.

drb
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 03.09.2006, 15:28 Uhr

Anmeldung: 03. Jul 2004

I'm glad someone else has a problem with wireless . . . it's not just me!

My desktop was 'converted' to Kanotix last December but I have never been able to get the three laptops in the house to connect wirelessly. I have tried a Netgear PCMCIA wireless card and a 3Com USB adapter using ndiswrapper without success. I presumed it was me not understanding ndiswrapper. We've just got a laptop with an IPW2200 Pro wireless interface built in and I'mm still struggling to get wireless working. My experience seems similar to Marinebro0306. I've tried 2005-04 and 2006-Easter-RC4 in LiveCd mode - if I can get wireless to work I'll install on all the laptops! I've tried every permutation of netcardconfig and I can't connect.

Kwifimanager (manager?) - detects the networks in the area, including mine, without doing anything so that bit works. The option to select a network is greyed out henc I try netcardconfig. How should I use netcardconfig, iwconfig, ifconfig, ifup or whatever to connect?

Filling in the boxes seems simple until I get to WPA - I use WEP security so should I leave everything to do with WPA alone? I've put in the ESSID in upper case as I read somewhere that was necessary; what about the WPA (or is it WEP) phrase - should that be uppercase? I disabled WEP thinking that would simplify matters but Kwifmanager still recognises the connection as WEP protected for some reason.

This should be quite simple - but can someone list the 4 to 5 lines needed to manually link to the internet via a router / wireless connection with WEP security?

My IPW2200 interface appears as eth0. Is that right or should it be wlan0?

Thanks,

drb

ockham23
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 03.09.2006, 15:50 Uhr

drb,
this should be easy if your adapters are supported by Kanotix. Here's my network setup:
router = Netgear DG824MB
DHCP = enabled, IP address 192.168.0.1
essid = "wire"
Wep key = "aaabacadae"
channel = 7

client adapter = Typhoon Speednet USB WLAN Adapter, recognized as "wlan0"

Connecting requires two steps:
1. establish wireless link
2. obtain IP address for client from DHCP server (router)

You can either run netcardconfig or start the connection from command line:
Code:
su
iwconfig wlan0 essid "wire" mode Managed channel 7 key aaabacadae
dhclient wlan0

That's it!

IPW2200: You need to upgrade to the latest stable kernel to get full support for this adapter. Centrino wireless is labeled "eth0" or "eth1", not "wlan0".
Netgear PCMCIA wireless card and a 3Com USB adapter: please post output of command "lspci" for these adapters so I can identify the wireless chips used in them.

drb
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 03.09.2006, 17:53 Uhr

ockham23

Thanks. Tried IPW2200 first. Success at last after a few problems! Initially I appear to be connected. Kwifimanager shows the connection 'connected' but I fail to pick up a local IP when I type dhclient eth1 – I see DHCPDISCOVER receive_packet failed : Network is down then DHCPDISCOVER then DHCPOFFER from 192.168.1.1 then DHCPREQUEST then DHCPDISCOVER then NO DHCPOFFERS RECEIVED. The router indicates that it is connected and has allocated 192.168.1.4 but the laptop doesn't receive it.

I then fix this IP address and run dhclient eth1 again. This time it picks up the fixed address and everything OK!

drb

ockham23
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 03.09.2006, 18:10 Uhr

drb,
this card should work without any hickups. I am wondering whether Kwifimanager somehow interferes with netcardconfig/iwconfig. Next time try setting up the wireless card without Kwifimanager running in the background.

hubi
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 03.09.2006, 18:20 Uhr

Anmeldung: 22. Jan 2006
drb,

about ndiswrapper. The windows drivers seem to be a lottery. I have three USB-WLan-Sticks, only one works - and that one with only one driver from the install CD, newer drivers fail to work with the same settings.

ipw2200: never had problems with them using /etc/network/interfaces for configuration and ifup for connection. Even survived removing ifrename, it's eth0 now (have not yet tried LAN since).

Encryption: I can use WPA - ipw2200 always understood it, windows drivers were a pain in the a**, but the one and only works well with wpa.

Troubleshooting:
to test a card, I used an open WLAN. If I had a connection, I tried WEP. After having running WEP, I went for WPA. And I changed my essid of course (does not need upper cases here).

hubi

maprx
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 01.10.2006, 13:16 Uhr

Anmeldung: 28. Sep 2006

ockham23 hat folgendes geschrieben::
drb,
this should be easy if your adapters are supported by Kanotix. Here's my network setup:
router = Netgear DG824MB
DHCP = enabled, IP address 192.168.0.1
essid = "wire"
Wep key = "aaabacadae"
channel = 7

client adapter = Typhoon Speednet USB WLAN Adapter, recognized as "wlan0"

Connecting requires two steps:
1. establish wireless link
2. obtain IP address for client from DHCP server (router)

You can either run netcardconfig or start the connection from command line:
Code:
su
iwconfig wlan0 essid "wire" mode Managed channel 7 key aaabacadae
dhclient wlan0

That's it!

IPW2200: You need to upgrade to the latest stable kernel to get full support for this adapter. Centrino wireless is labeled "eth0" or "eth1", not "wlan0".
Netgear PCMCIA wireless card and a 3Com USB adapter: please post output of command "lspci" for these adapters so I can identify the wireless chips used in them.

this works for me, but why does it not hold the config, so it can boot with wireless working?

ockham23
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 01.10.2006, 20:09 Uhr

Try setting up the WLAN card with netcardconfig:
Code:
su
netcardconfig

UncleDeadley
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 02.10.2006, 01:24 Uhr

Anmeldung: 24. Jun 2006
the OP seems to have been gone for a while, I hope he comes back. I was having a fit with an atheros card, wpa and netcardconfig. Turns out the problem was the commands had changed for wpa_supplicant, but the changes hadn't made it into the netcardconfig script. Not sure if that's changed yet. See my solved thread: http://kanotix.com/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-19518.html

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
drb
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 03.10.2006, 14:22 Uhr

Problem with zd1211 on USB dongle moved to separate thread.

drb

Zuletzt bearbeitet von drb am 03.10.2006, 18:11 Uhr, insgesamt ein Mal bearbeitet

ockham23
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 03.10.2006, 15:13 Uhr

drb, better open a new thread in the network section so the developers are more likely to find your question, e.g. "Problems setting up ZD1211 with 2006-01-RC4"

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.