28.03.2024, 12:07 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
pfe1223
Titel: Smaller ISO  BeitragVerfasst am: 11.10.2006, 21:09 Uhr

Anmeldung: 18. Jul 2006

I downloaded your ISO last night (because I want to go back to Kanotix after other distros have left me unsatisfied), but I can't burn it to disc because it is 703 megs. What gives? Could you maybe shave off a couple of megs so that it fits on my 700 meg blank CDR's? Sorry for the complaints, but I have had enough of being let down by so many distros.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
h2
Titel: RE: Smaller ISO  BeitragVerfasst am: 11.10.2006, 21:52 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2005

It fits fine on 700 mB blanks. Just adjust your burning program to allow for slight overburn. Most do this out of the box.

drb
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 11.10.2006, 21:52 Uhr

Anmeldung: 03. Jul 2004

It will fit on a standard 700MB CD - megabyte / megabit difference I guess. I have burnt to a DVD-RW recently and that worked fine as well.

drb

slam
Titel: Smaller ISO  BeitragVerfasst am: 11.10.2006, 21:54 Uhr

Anmeldung: 05. Okt 2004
The CD burns fine on any CD-R if you follow our HowTo here:
http://kanotix.com/FAQ-id_cat-16.html.
In order to avoid further disappointments and probably find your "perfect" Linux distribution here I strongly advice you to read at least our FAQ and our Manual once. After all we are talking about an entire operating system, so it's worth the time you will spend.
Besides that feel free to ask here or in our Chat at
http://irc.kanotix.net/cgi-bin/cgiirc/irc.cgi.
Welcome at Kanotix!
Greetings,
Chris

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen AIM-Name Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ-Nummer 
PlatinumPlus
Titel: RE: Smaller ISO  BeitragVerfasst am: 18.10.2006, 14:30 Uhr

Anmeldung: 30. Nov 2005
Any chance of a Kanotix-mini-iso like the good old days of 2005-04-lite?

rich.bradshaw
Titel: RE: Smaller ISO  BeitragVerfasst am: 18.10.2006, 18:08 Uhr

Anmeldung: 14. Jan 2006

Yeah - you should make an iso that only has the core stuff, no added software - maybe with KDE and all the included K stuff, but no other things - it would be nice to start from scratch when installing.

DeepDayze
Titel: RE: Smaller ISO  BeitragVerfasst am: 18.10.2006, 19:43 Uhr

Anmeldung: 08. Dez 2005

a "lite" iso with just basic stuff would be great as the other "fluff" can then be added via synaptic/apt if the user chooses. Be a good way to cut down "bloat"

I am not knocking this fine distro, but its a good idea to make an effort to reduce size, even if it means casting off the extra programs

devil
Titel: RE: Smaller ISO  BeitragVerfasst am: 18.10.2006, 20:27 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 06. Mai 2005
you can do that quite easily yourself with the live-cd before install:
Code:
kicklist before update-install/fresh install:
create a textfile called kicklist and put in all apps you dont want (one in each line)
then:
su
fix-unionfs
apt-get update
apt-get remove --purge $(< kicklist)
while D=$(deborphan);test -n "$D"; do apt-get remove --purge --yes $D; done
remove-orphans

that will remove all apps in kicklist from the iso.

greetz
devil

Host/Kernel/OS "devilsbox" running[2.6.19-rc1-git5-kanotix-1KANOTIX-2006-01-RC4 ]
CPU Info AMD Athlon 64 3000+ clocked at [ 803.744 MHz ]

PlatinumPlus
Titel: Re: RE: Smaller ISO  BeitragVerfasst am: 19.10.2006, 08:33 Uhr

devil hat folgendes geschrieben::
you can do that quite easily yourself with the live-cd before install:greetz
devil

Hi Dev

I was hoping for a smaller iso for DL purposes. On a fine day my DL is running at 23kB/s and can drop to 1kB/s meaning about 2 days+ for the average 700MB iso. The ideal for me would be to get my system up and running then apt-get one by one other required software.

DeepDayze
Titel: RE: Re: RE: Smaller ISO  BeitragVerfasst am: 19.10.2006, 14:04 Uhr

Anmeldung: 08. Dez 2005

Think there is a base system install option in the installer...but not sure where it is.

PlatinumPlus
Titel: RE: Re: RE: Smaller ISO  BeitragVerfasst am: 19.10.2006, 15:05 Uhr

Does DSL become Debian once installed and if so can I add Kanotix/Debian repos and upgrade?

wegface
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 20.10.2006, 11:20 Uhr

Anmeldung: 02. Nov 2005

Your still have to download everything when you apt-get it. Could try debain net install cd- but again you still need to download the apps. Could pay for a disc or bribe a friend with better connection to download?

ugo
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 20.10.2006, 22:55 Uhr

Anmeldung: 07. Okt 2005

Hi Platinum+,
you can definitely install DSL on the HD via a "classical install" procedure (they have done a so called "frugal install" but it doesn't fit your goals) and you will get a (nearly)Debian basic system on your PC.

The previous one was the good new for you, instead the following ones are mainly bad (but not so bad...).

DSL on the HD is just nearly a Debian because the system is neither completely aligned to a Debian oldstable (=woody) nor to a Debian stable (=sarge). I know it because I had to remaster DSL for my students and when I've installed some basic software via apt-get (for instance, make, if I remember well), apt-get itself told me that there were some inconsitencies in the dependencies of the software (this should never occur with a real Debian). Any way, after having removed, upgraded something and so on, I succeeded in having a system more coherent to the Debian repositories; indeed, I've installed emacs and other things from Debian stable without problems. I guess you can do the same, otherwise I can explain where to download my remastered DSL (about 120 Mb) but there you'll find something unuseful to you and, even worse, I've arranged something for the needs of an ITALIAN user...

Now, the question is: how can you transform a Debian stable into a sort of Kanotix-ultralight? I don't know. I guess it's not so easy, because Kanotix is aligned to the Debian unstable branch. However, I hope other people (more expert than me) in this forum can help you to overcome this difficulty.

Good luck,
ciao,
Ugo

PlatinumPlus
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 24.10.2006, 11:09 Uhr

It's all encouraging news. I guess the more I play around with this the faster I learn Linux. I found a distro BeaFanatIX and its base is Ubuntu done on Knoppix and can be updated with *sarge* (tips Ugo). So I guess I will find myself in a catch stable/unstable, backporting on breezy and ,wegface, more downloads, if it works, to sync with unstable Traurig

craigevil
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 24.10.2006, 19:05 Uhr

Anmeldung: 29. Mar 2005
Perhaps someone can contact osdisc.com and get them to carry the newest version of Kanotix.

Their prices are very inexpensive and they ship very quickly. When I first started messing with Linux I bought several disk from them.

Right now they still have 2005-04 version, which I guess is the last stable release.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ-Nummer 
PlatinumPlus
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 03.11.2006, 06:38 Uhr

I've just DLd KANOTIX-2006-CPX-MINI-7(240MB) and I will start playing around with it today;)

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.